By the time this blog posts, I should be well on my way to New York-Detroit-Athens-Skiathos-Alonissos, Greece. Should. If you've so much as tried to buy plywood or gone out to eat, you probably know that things aren't running smoothly yet.
The first week after I booked my flight I received two cancellation notices as flights were cancelled and everything needed rescheduled. That's a sticky game when you have connections. So my expectations are modest.
If I get there sometime in August, everything's good!
It'll take me four planes, one ferry, and three entire days before I step off the ferry in Patatiri on the island of Alonissos in the Northern Sporades. It should be an adventure and like with anything we do this year, patience is required. It's never an easy trip, but it's always worth it. I'll sleep in Athens on my way, and Skiathos, and when I hit Alonissos, I'll likely sleep for an entire day.
Hopefully some of that sleep will be on a beach covered in salty white stones with a monk seal stealing a nap nearby.
The domino effect of this virus and the lockdowns hasn't been easy on any of us. We've lost so many people and so many are hurting. I hope that all of you can find a place that feeds your soul and where you can rest. That's why I decided to pack up and head out into the wild world again. I had to weigh the risk. I've been vaccinated. I've been on lockdown for a good part of all of this. In the end I decided it's better, healthier, for me to go.
It's a risk. There are no guarantees. But when have there ever been?
Post a Comment